The gifts of the Holy Spirit are essential if we want see God’s Kingdom impact our world. As human beings, it’s normal for us to have the ability to speak, so likewise it’s normal for the Christian to possess and operate in spiritual gifts
1 Corinthians 12:4-7 says:
‘There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all.’
In these four verses we learn that:
- There are differences in the distribution of the gifts. We don’t all receive the same gifts in the same measure. It doesn’t say that we cannot operate in all of the gifts at one time or another, but rather that there is variation in the level of gifting and timing from one to another. We are likely to have one or two gifts which we flow in more readily than others. However, we are called to deeply desire the spiritual gifts, therefore our spread and depth of gifting should grow and expand over time.
- It’s the same Holy Spirit who enables all the gifts. Whatever our gifting, it’s the manifestation of God Himself working through us. That means a gift brought through you matters.
- There are differences in the ministries we receive but God orchestrates it all.
- There are differences in the places, times, strength, and ways we operate in the gifts, but God is the one working them all out through us.
- The gifts are the Holy Spirit making Himself known through us.
- Each and every one of us who has received the Holy Spirit has received the potential to operate in the gifts. It’s not just for an elite few.
- The gifts are given to each of us to benefit others.
Clearly from this passage we see that there is a lot of diversity within the gifts, but all of us can move in them to some measure, if we have received the Holy Spirit.
We are called out on a lifelong journey of discovery in which we are not restricted by the measure and type of gifts we operate in now. We are encouraged by verses such as 1 Cor 12:31 to pursue the gifts, which means the heart of God is for us to increase in the power and diversity of the gifts we move in.
In recent decades the use of the gifts was primarily confined within the four walls of a church building or home group meeting, but they have always been intended for use anywhere and everywhere. When used in a Church gathering, they bless the body of Christ. When used out in our communities they reveal God’s compassion, grace, and love.
When used in all the differing areas of our lives, they bring a taste of heaven to earth. The influence of the Kingdom of God rides in on the back of the gifts. The body of Christ was always intended to be empowered with the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They are the keys to our effectiveness, and operating in them should be a way of life for us all.
We would love to hear about your experiences moving in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Please leave a comment below.
If you found this message helpful feel free to share it. You can post directly to other media using the buttons on this page. Don’t forget to sign up with your email if you wish to receive my latest articles direct to your inbox.