Any adventure has its tough moments and the Christian life is no exception. So how do we protect ourselves from discouragement and keep moving forward toward our dreams? Today, I will talk about six ways we can partner with God to live with constant encouragement.
I am a dreamer,but I have learnt that just having a dream is not enough. There are a number of areas in your life that you need to consider in order to pursue a dream to fulfillment. One of those areas is in the sphere of encouragement. Some of us are naturally optimistic whilst others have the ability to see everything that could possibly go wrong and every reason why we can not pursue our dreams. I confess that at the start of my adventure with God I was primarily of the latter camp! Whatever position we start from, there are a number of godly habits we can put into our lives that will help us to stay encouraged and remain on course.
1. Ask God for grace. The first point is maybe the most obvious and yet it is often the least used. Hebrews 4:16 says ‘Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need’. Go to God, share your needs and ask Him for help.
2. Regularly review your past victories. Take a moment to meditate about (think over) your own testimonies. God has come through for you in the past and He will do so again. It’s so easy to forget the breakthroughs you have experienced, in the challenge of the present moment. Bringing them back to mind causes faith to rise again.
3. Take time to listen to the testimony of others. What God has done for someone else He can also do for you. Each testimony can release faith to receive the same.
4. Thank God for every blessing. Not only do we see how much good is actually going on in our lives when we do, but we, through our humility, receive more grace (James 4:6).
5. Speak well over every situation. When we speak well over a tough experience we actually agree with God. When we speak negatively over any situation we agree with the devil. If you can‘t see the good, stop and ask God for insight. He will show you what to focus on.
6. Ask yourself, ‘What am I listening to each day?’ Surround yourself with encouraging words; words that build you up. If you don’t have friends who can encourage you, then at least listen to people who speak with faith. It is easier today than at any time in history to access people of faith. Sign up to blogs like this one :-), or listen to your favorite preacher. If you are in business, then find people who can cheer you on. I particularly like Michael Hyatt’s blog.
Lastly, I encourage you to reject the thought that God is only interested in partnering with those who are in full time Church work. He is interested in partnering with everyone of His children! When Jesus encouraged us to pray to the Father, ‘Your Kingdom come and Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven’, He was showing us that His plan is for the Kingdom of God to advance through each one of us. He wants to dream with you and bring those dreams to reality.
What are your dreams? Where do you find encouragement? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.
If you found this message helpful please share it. You can post directly to other media using the designated buttons on this page. Don’t forget to sign up with your email if you wish to receive news of my latest blogs direct to your inbox.